[Pythonmac-SIG] First Experience, Unix Python vs. MacPython and Science

Johann Hibschman johann@surfbest.net
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 10:17:30 -0800

On Thursday, February 21, 2002, at 05:17  AM, Jack Jansen wrote:

> Wild guess: maybe you used "make install" to install in stead of "make
> frameworkinstall"? I know that *I* still do that accidentally from time
> to time (so it'll be fixed in the next release:-).

Of course, that's it.  Now I feel silly.  Thanks, Jack.  I've only been
paying spotty attention to this list, but the ideal solution (IMHO)
would be that "make install" puts a fully-operational Unix python
version in /usr/local/bin, while "make frameworkinstall" actually
creates the /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework.

The frameworkinstall should certainly install python binaries in
/usr/local/bin that use the framework, so I don't have to waste extra
space in /usr/local/lib for duplicate libraries.  You probably already
do this, and I should probably just shut up, install it correctly, and
see what happens.  :-)

Rambling,

--Johann