[Pythonmac-SIG] Confused at the state of Python for OSX

Steven Majewski sdm7g@Virginia.EDU
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 19:24:08 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Alexandre Parenteau wrote:

> I'm not fully qualified to speak for the MacPython project, but from my
> perspective using MacPython CFM on MacOSX is not an option on a long term.

Definitely. I hope that was at least implied by my comments about
the future of mach-o python.

> If you use MacOSX only, and this is my IMHO again, use the Mach-O port. It
> will have everything that has the CFM version (including the MacOS
> specific), only it will work much better with threads and sockets.

But "will have" is the significant phrase above!

> Now there are 2 kinds of problems by using Mach-O at the time we speak. Not
> all the sub-components of Python are fully functional (like Tk-Inter) and
> there is a legacy problem of people who are using either CodeWarrior or
> existing CFM/Carbon libraries.

Is there really that much legacy code out there that won't port to mach-o?
I'll admit that I have some, but it all uses non-Carbon aspects of the
classic macos -- device manager calls mostly -- so I'm going to have to
rewrite the whole thing. All of the other extensions I use are all
originated on unix and were ported to the mac -- maintaining
them should be easier on osx.

-- Steve Majewski