[Pythonmac-SIG] Confused at the state of Python for OSX

Samuel Smith smithsm@samuelsmith.org
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 18:37:06 -0700

>Agree, the comfort is obvious. Most of the components of Python originated
>on Unix. All these components pretty much compile in a snap on OSX using the
>GNU/Apple tools. Strangely all you have to do to port it to Mach-O is to
>throw away all the specific code you added for Classic !
>
>I wanted to point that even for components specific to Mac (which are not
>GNU/Unix based), it is more and more easy to port to Mach-O as the tools get
>better. I hope I made that clear in my mail.

Thanks for the clarification. It seems then there is no point on a
new project to even look at CFM MacPython on OSX.

At 18:21 -0500 2/21/02, Dan Grassi wrote:
>There is no reason to build from source.
>
>Mac carbon version:
>1) http://www.cwi.nl/ftp/jack/python/mac/MacPython22full.bin
>
>MachO/unix version:
>2) http://people.ucsc.edu/~jacobkm/tkinter_osx_howto.html
>or
>DO NOT USE STUFFIT TO UNTAR THIS PACKAGE! IT WILL NOT WORK
>3) http://redivi.com/~bob/pygame-1.3.4-osx-kitchensink.pkg.tar
>
>I use 1 and 3 on OS X.

It seems there are lots of little fixes people keep writing about
moreover if I want to work with a gui such as wxpython on xfree86
don't I need to build from source?

Samuel M. Smith Ph.D.

360 W. 920 N.
Orem, Utah 84057