[Pythonmac-SIG] Carbon only for 2.3

Bob Savage bobsavage@mac.com
Sat, 05 Jan 2002 17:37:51 -0600

on 1/5/02 11:29 AM, kevin parks wrote:

> Unfortunatly some of us who bought clones are stuck with machines that
> only go as high as 8.6. I have a PowerComputing PowerCenterPro 210, which
> is a 604e and I am still running 8.6 on it. I hear that 9.x is a problem
> on it so I am afraid to go up to 9.x on it. And of course OS X is a no-no
> on it as well. It is a shame cause the machine was manufactured in 1997,
> which is not all that long ago. I was running my NeXT machine until a year
> ago.

I had a PowerBase 180 (603e) which also would not run OS 9. I eventually
replaced it with a G4 (450mhz). I can assure you, if you replace your
computer with a new one, you will know why OSX is not supported on the old
equipment; they are dog slow in comparison. And that's without considering
the improvement in the case design -- installing a hard drive, or RAM, or
even a PCI card in my PowerBase was a massive project, with 8 screws needing
to be removed before I could even pull the "outer" lid off! Now, I just lift
the latch :)

Well, my point was that, from my experience, you shouldn't bother going past
8.6 on the PowerCenter.

Bob