[Pythonmac-SIG] running python/wxpython on the Mac with emulation?

Kevin Altis altis@semi-retired.com
Mon, 7 Jan 2002 12:55:10 -0800

Note, if you send me a reply directly, I can post a summary to the lists.

I don't currently use a Mac (the old Performa I have with System 7.5 isn't
really that usable), but there are quite a few people interested in the
PythonCard project that only use Macs, so they are waiting for wxPython Mac
to be finished.

What I'm wondering is whether any of the free or commercial emulation
solutions would be good substitutes until wxPython Mac is available for use
with MacPython? Basically, they would just run a version of Python and
wxPython (win32 or GTK) for either Windows or Linux depending on the
emulation solution.

Is anyone already doing this on their Macs? Either OS classic or OS X? If
so, could you provide details of the configuration and installation or any
tricky parts of getting it to work?

Some possibilities:

VirtualPC
http://www.connectix.com/products/vpc5m.html

Bochs
http://bochs.sourceforge.net/

VMWare
http://www.vmware.com/

plex86
http://www.plex86.org/

XFree86
http://www.xfree86.org/
I had one person suggest "Just use wxGTK under Xfree86 in rootless mode..."
on OS X.

Thanks,

ka
---