[Pythonmac-SIG] Progress report: unix python on Mac OS X

Steven Burr sburr@home.com
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 21:52:04 -0700

On Thursday, January 10, 2002, at 07:56 PM, Marcel Prastawa wrote:

> Russell E Owen wrote:
> > You were right, thanks! It turns out fink can find it using "fink
> > install gmp". I'm not sure why it didn't show up in the list of known
> > source or binary packages. Anyway, installing it allowed the full
> > python 2.2 installation to proceed and it works fine.
>
> A quick note on Fink: Fink has two package classifications: stable and
> unstable. You need to build the unstable packages from the source.
> See http://fink.sourceforge.net/faq/usage-fink.php#bindist
>
> Could you send me the fix for Fink? I want to minimize my exposure to
> Perl... :)

If you mean a fix for python 2.2, it really shouldn't be necessary.

The gmp package is in stable:

21:42:21 <bash:~>
$ ls /sw/fink/dists/stable/main/finkinfo/libs/gmp*
/sw/fink/dists/stable/main/finkinfo/libs/gmp-3.1.1-2.info

It's listed as a dependency in the python 2.2 info file, so when you do
"fink install python," fink will ask if you want gmp (and any other
dependencies you don't already have) installed as well.  It worked for
me.