[Pythonmac-SIG] Python-"Services" on OS X?

Bob Savage bobsavage@mac.com
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 08:47:18 -0600

You might well not want to do it this way, but: There is also an optional
"services-like" feature on MacOSX. There is a little script menu (? I'm sure
Apple has a special name for these things -- one of those things that are
black icons on the right of the screen, and are available in all apps). You
can put arbitrary scripts in there (originally designed for AppleScripts,
but shell scripts, Perl scipts, and Python scripts work fine as well).

For what you want, Services might be the best way to go, because the concept
of communicating with the current app (e.g. getting the selected object) is
built right in, wereas with the script menu thing, you would have to be able
to communicate with the app via AppleEvents.

See <http://www.apple.com/applescript/macosx/toolbar_scripts/>.

best,

Bob