[Pythonmac-SIG] Newbie Question: xstat() function?

Martin Miller mmiller@adobe.com
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 19:12:30 -0800

I have a dumb newbie question. The documentation at
<http://www.python.org/doc/current/mac/module-mac.html> for the
MacPython mac module says:

==snip==
> One additional function is available:
>
> xstat(path)
>        This function returns the same information as stat(), but with three additional values appended: the size of the resource fork of the file and its
>        4-character creator and type.
==snip==

However the xstat() function does not appear to be available in either
the "mac" or "os" module that is distributed with MacPython 2.2. I would
like to access the 4-byte creator and type of a Macintosh file. Is it
missing by mistake or am I doing something wrong? I have tried both
mac.xstat(path) and os.xstat(path). I also tried the standard os.stat(),
but it does not return any extra values as described.

TIA,
Martin