[Pythonmac-SIG] Python/XDarwin/Tkinter on OS X 10.1

Jacob Kaplan-Moss jacobkm@cats.ucsc.edu
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 11:26:05 -0800

All --

Jack asked for descriptions of the various Aqua UI options, so I
thought I'd throw in what I've done.  Using Fink, I've gotten
MachoPython and Tkinter working with OSX 10.1 and XDarwin.  I've now
done this on a bunch of machines, and its a really nice way of
getting Tkinter working easily.

The short version:

- Install Fink
- Add "unstable/main" to the "Trees:" line in /sw/etc/fink.conf
- From the command line:

	[localhost:~] jacob% fink selfupdate
		(say yes to "packages from CVS")
	[localhost:~] jacob% fink install xfree86-base
	[localhost:~] jacob% fink install xfree86-rootless
	[localhost:~] jacob% fink install windowmaker
	[localhost:~] jacob% fink install python
	[localhost:~] jacob% python
	>>> import Tkinter
	>>> #YAY!

The longer version:

1.  Install Fink (see fink.sf.net for specific instructions).  I use
the source install option, which seemed the best for me since I like
the change the default directory and such.

2.  Set Fink to use the unstable/main branch (some of the packages
(xfree86-rootless, for one) are in the unstable branch, so we'll need
Fink to use it).  The way to do this is to edit the fink.conf file
(/sw/etc/fink.conf) and add "unstable/main" to the end of the
"Trees:" line.  My "Trees:" line is: "Trees: local/main stable/main
stable/crypto local/bootstrap unstable/main"

3.  Update Fink (fink selfupdate).  When it asks you if you want to
get curent packages from CVS, say yes.

4.  Install xfree86.  Fink's xfree86 is split into two packages,
you'll need to install xfree86-base, then xfree86-rootless.  I use
"fink install ..." to install those packages, which builds them from
source but takes a long time, if time is an issue you might want to
use "apt-get install ..."

5.  Install a window manager.  I use WindowMaker, but any one with a
Fink package should work in theory.

6.  Install Python ("fink install python").

7.  Enjoy; you should be good to go!

Should I write this up as a web page?

Jacob