[Fwd: Re: [Pythonmac-SIG] OS X import bug?]

Marcel Prastawa prastawa@cs.unc.edu
Sat, 26 Jan 2002 10:17:45 -0500

Jack Jansen wrote:

> My feeling is that the problem is with dynload_next.c, which is a very
> old file that hasn't seen any development for many years (between NeXT's
> near-demise and OSX's appearance). The problem is exacerbated by the
> fact that the APIs used in dynload_next.c or very poorly documented, if
> at all. My guess (can anyone confirm this or point me to more info?) is
> that the NSIsSymbolNameDefined() call at the beginning is incorrect, and
> will return the wrong module upon import of a second module with the
> same name.

I'm glad it's not an OS X issue. It seems that libdl also uses the same
NeXT functions, so a fix should be possible.

> Maybe someone who is experiencing the problem can comment out that
> quick-return section and see whether dynload_next.c then works as
> expected? Or will we then immedeately run into flat namespace problems
> (two routines called initfoo)?

I will play with this idea... BTW, if we have two routines called
initfoo in two different flat namespace binaries, I think we will run
into problems anyway (even with libdl).

Marcel