[Pythonmac-SIG] Extensions for static versus framework MachoPython

bill fancher fancher@pacbell.net
Tue, 09 Jul 2002 17:38:56 -0700

On Monday, July 8, 2002, at 03:00  PM, Jack Jansen wrote:

> Tried it again, and I got it to work this time. I now have both
> python.exe and all the extension modules linked with two-level namespace,
>  and handled _environ by making it a static variable and initializing it
> with _NSGetEnviron.
>
> However, the cure appears worse than the problem: in stead of "just
> working" what happens now if you import a framework-based module into a
> non-framework-based Python is that Python crashes with a bus error:-(
>
> I'll investigate a bit more, if anyone wants to help please speak up and
> I'll put the diffs up on sourceforge,

Having opened this can of worms, I almost feel obliged to take a look,
assuming it's still an issue. If no one else expresses interest, feel free
to mail diffs if that's easier than putting them on sourceforge.

FWIW, when I do something similar here I get:

Fatal Python error: Interpreter not initialized (version mismatch?)
Abort

This seems to me to be the correct behavior. (It's what you had originally
expected to happen, IIRC.) To try it out, I cooked up two_level_namespace
sha and _AE modules. Of course the libpython2.3.dylib that my test modules
are linked against is not the same as what you're using there...

--
bill