[Pythonmac-SIG] Advice for GUI app on Mac & Windows

Chris Barker Chris.Barker@noaa.gov
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 09:16:35 -0700

Fran=E7ois Granger wrote:
> >I'm still trying to find the GUI toolkit which will work on MacOS 9,
> >MacOS X and Windows...
>=20
> As far as I know, the only one available is tk.

I thought tk was kind of dead in teh water for OS-9 with Carbon.

> http://www.anygui.org

Are they wrapping the MAC toolbox? I'm sure it's on their list, but is
anyone actually doing it

> Then another more advanced project but not for MacOS 9.0
>=20
> http://www.pythoncard.org

PythonCard is based on wxPython, which is not currently functional on
OS-9. Which brings us to wxPython.

wxPython on OS-X is in pretty good shape. I recently tried it out for
the first time, and it ran most of the wxPython demo, and an App of mine
with only a few small issues, that I can easily address in my Python
code.

While wxPython for OS-9 does not yet exist, the pieces are there. wxMac
is a Carbon library that works on OS-9 as well as OS-X. Many of the
issues with the wxPython wrappers should be similar to OS-X, so all you
need is someone to put some time into it. Ideally someone with Carbon on
OS-9 experience.

It sounds like the OP might have the programming experience to do the
job. WHile it is unfortunate that there is no option that really works
now, it may be less effort to get wxPython working on OS-9 that it is to
build two different GUIs. This is particularly true if you have other
uses for it in the future. anyone working on wxPython for OS-9 will
probably get help as well.

good luck,

-Chris

--=20
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer
                                    	=09
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker@noaa.gov