[Pythonmac-SIG] Name that Python

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com
Sat, 20 Jul 2002 23:41:15 +0200

[Kevin, I've remove the wx-people off the cc, I hope you'll
summarize for them]
On zaterdag, juli 20, 2002, at 04:32 , Kevin Ollivier wrote:

> A thought I had (Jack, I hope you're listening =), what do you
> guys think about changing the name for "MachoPython" to
> MacPythonX while MacPython undergoes the Carbon -> OS X only
> transition? I think the name makes it clearer that it's OS X
> only, and its probably a bit easier to remember as well for
> those not compiling Mac software. =) Also, is the wxPython
> Sourceforge site the only place MachoPython is available for
> download?

To start with the last question: yes, at the moment it is.

On to the interesting bit, the naming question. I think the term
MachoPython has served us well over the last year (I should
think that, I think I was the one to come up with it, or at
least picked it up pretty quickly). However, I think it's too
techy for a large audience, as the Macho is a pun on the
underlying Mach-O executable format, which noone knows or cares
about. I want a naming scheme that will allow us to use the name
MacPython again (for what is now MachoPython) in a few
years/releases. In the mean time, as long as OS9 Python
continues to exist it should have a name for itself, to
forestall confusion (which is already happening, and which I
don't want to get worse).

All I can think of is putting a 9 and an X (or possibly an OSX)
somewhere in the name. This would lead to combo's like
Mac9Python and MacXPython, MacPython9 and MacPythonX,
MacPython-OS9 and MacPython-OSX. (Or could we bite the bullet
for the 2.3 release and call the old beast MacOS9Python and the
new one simply MacPython?)

Of these I think I like the first combo best, but that's only
because I think the others are worse. Any suggestions for other
names? Anyone think we can start using MacPython for Macho
already? Any other insights?
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
- If I can't dance I don't want to be part of your revolution --
Emma Goldman -