[Pythonmac-SIG] Name that Python

Ronald Oussoren oussoren@cistron.nl
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 20:24:16 +0200

On Monday, July 22, 2002, at 08:03 , Bob Ippolito wrote:

> Well you could reverse engineer the process, or keep a set of diff
> files to go from the base to any of the others.. or flat out just
> include install_name_tool in the installer -- which would be useful,
> because you're going to need it for installing 3rd party .so modules!

The shell output below (in an earlier mail from Tony Lownds) seems to
indicate that the path from Python.framework is changed to a string that
starts with '@executable_path'.
> root# install_name_tool -change Python.framework/Versions/2.3/Python
> @executable_path/../Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/Python
> python
> root# otool -Lv python                     python:
> @executable_path/../Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/Python
> (compatibility version 2.3.0, current version 2.3.0)

If I understand this correctly you don't need to change anything on
install if you include the modified copy of python as the python inside
an application bundle with a local python framework.

If you'd provide a python that is changed in this way as part of a
'normal' Python.framework install you could use this when building a
python application with a local Python.framework instead of the python
executable from Python.app. E.g. no need to use install_name_tool in
BuildApplication, or even in the python installer (well except for 3th
part .so modules, I haven't thought much about those).

Disclaimer: My discussion is purely theoretical based on the last few
mails about this subject and a probably forgot about something
important ;-|

Ronald