[Pythonmac-SIG] Extensions for static versus frame

Chris Barker Chris.Barker@noaa.gov
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 10:02:44 -0700

Jack Jansen wrote:

> By chance I was thinking of that while cycling in. I think we need a
> "Run Interactive Interpreter" command in the launcher. We may need two,
> even: one using python and one using pythonw.
>
> Note that, as Just pointed out, we don't have to make this functionality
> too obvious, the IDE should be the normal way to do interactive Python.

Maybe not obvious, but not hard to find either. I very rarely use the
IDE. I really like working in the interpreter (as long as it has
readline)

> Well, the idea is that if you have two Python's installed (for instance
> a framework 2.3 and a separate unix-only 2.2.1 in /usr/bin) you can use
> the 2.3 launcher to launch your script with /usr/bin/python.

This is a fabulous idea. There is the endless discussion about
compatability between versions, and the problem could be easily solved
if you have a way to specify in your script what versin is required.
Guido doesn't seem to want to put a version specifier in the Python
language [*], so what mahy have reversted to is a #! line that specifies
a version (I have a lot of: #!/usr/bin/env python2.1 lines at the top of
my code). A launcher that parses that line an launches the correct
python would be great. Maybe the even the Windows folks can do some
thing like this some day. Disk space is cheap. Having five versions of
Python on a system is not a big deal anymore.

[*] (too bad, wouldn't it be nice to be able to specify what versions
your script can use: requires(["2.1", "2.2"]) or something like that?

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker@noaa.gov