[Pythonmac-SIG] Name that Python

Chris Barker Chris.Barker@noaa.gov
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 10:08:20 -0700

> >> How about MacPython and ClassicPython? That flips the
> >> executable-format-designation onto the other beast.
> >> ClassicPython also sounds a bit more historical.

I seem to be in the minority here, but working in a very Mac-Centric
shop that has not adopted OS-X yet (except a few of us doing a little
testing), I dont' hink it is yet time to call an OS-X only version
"MacPython"

I like "MacPython" for the version that will run under either system,
and
"MacOS-XPython" or "MacPythonX" for the OS-X only version.

By the way, I also love the idea of an easy way to get an excessories
included MacPython*. The accessories I vote for are:

Numeric
PIL
mxDateTime (or maybe all of the free mx tools)
wxPython

Easily installed packages are fine, but I'd probably prefer them to be
part of the regular install. Disk space is cheap these days.

I'd love MacPython to tbe the first distrobution that includes all this
stuff!

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker@noaa.gov