[Pythonmac-SIG] Status of wxPython on OS-9 ?

Chris Barker Chris.Barker@noaa.gov
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 11:28:01 -0700

Hi all,

Does anyone know the status of wxPython on OS-9? As far as I have seen,
all of the activity with wxMacPython has been on OS-X, but wxMac is
Carbon based, and I believe functional on OS-9, and therefore wxPython
on OS-9 should be possible.

Is anyone working on it?

Has anyone evaluated what it would take to make it work?

I am working on persuading my collueges that Python is a fabulous way to
develop a large variety of applications, and that wxPython is the way to
do GUIs. I have used Python+wxPython for a Linux+Windows app, and it
went very well, but we are primarily a Mac house, and have not gone to
OS-X yet. Given the inertia of this place, I imagine it will be a while
before we do, so we are restricted on most of our projects to tools that
support OS-9.

We have a couple of very sharp and experienced Mac programmers here, and
we may be able to do the wxPython on OS-9 work ourselves, but I would
have to persuade my boss that it's a good idea, and the better assesment
I can give as to what it would take, the better my chances, so I'm
looking for that assessment now.

By the way, TKinter is another option, but it looks like it will never
work with Carbon, so that may not be workable either. Am I right about
that?

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker@noaa.gov