[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: [Pyobjc-dev] Build of pyobjc and pyobjc-nib failures

Ronald Oussoren oussoren@cistron.nl
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 20:39:36 +0200

On Wednesday, July 31, 2002, at 08:21 , Zachery Bir wrote:

> On Wednesday, July 31, 2002, at 01:59 , Ronald Oussoren wrote:
>
>> I suppose your building pyobjc 0.6.1. If you remove the prototype for
>> getcwd in OC_PythonBundle  it will compile and build.
>
> I have both the pyobjc and your pyobjc-nib - both break similarly.

That's odd. My version doesn't include OC_PythonBundle.m. Could you send
the output of setup.py for my version to me (either directly or to the
pyobjc-dev list).

> This elusive "framework install". I see this in pyobjc's INSTALL:

> ***
> ***  NOTE: You must build Python with Objective-C enabled by
> ***        specifying --with-objc to the configure script to use this.
> ***

That is another issue, apperently python must be build with an
objective-C compiler to be able to use PyObjC. As the next note says,
you don't have to do anything special on MacOS X to enable that (the
reason is probably that 'cc' on MacOS X is an objective-C compiler).

The framework install refers to a special build of python that creates a
'Python.framework' in /Library/Frameworks. Frameworks are basically
Apple's solution for shipping shared libraries with supporting files.

To build a framework install call configure like this: ./configure
--enable-framework. Check out the readme in Mac/OSX for more information.

Ronald