[Pythonmac-SIG] machopython crash on MOSX

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl
Fri, 14 Jun 2002 15:29:19 +0200

On Thursday, June 6, 2002, at 09:33 , lists wrote:

> Yo,
>
> I'm not sure wether I should post this directly to the list of enter a
> as bug somewhere.
> If it needs to be filed as a bug I'd gladly to it, if someone would be
> kind enough to point me to instructions on how to do it.
>
> I've just had a crash (segmentation fault) in machopython.
>
> I'm using version 2.2.1 compiled (on MOSX 10.1.4) from source and
> installed as a framework.
> I've upgraded to 10.1.5 but dunno if it's related.
> The crash is totally reproducible OMM.
>
> At the python prompt type:
>
> help()
> modules dbm
>
> It crashes while generating the list of dbm modules:

I cannot repeat this. But I have an idea: are you by any chance logged
in remotely to your OSX machine?

The crash you get (if you look at the stack trace) is in the initializer
routine of a just loaded dynamically linked module. And we have the
outstanding bug that if you try to import a module that uses the window
server (such as any Carbon module) if you have no right to access the
window server you get a hard crash. And help() will often import any
module it can see.
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
Goldman -