[Pythonmac-SIG] Help building an extension?

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com
Sat, 2 Mar 2002 23:51:31 +0100

On vrijdag, maart 1, 2002, at 06:28 , Daniel T. wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to build the "Noddy" extension from the docs
> <http://www.python.org/doc/current/ext/dnt-basics.html> but I
> can't seem to get it to build.
>
> I got the .slb compiled and wrote the setup.py like it said to
> do, then I option-drag the setup.py into the PythonInterpreter,
> and put 'build' in the command line.
>
> Then a window pops up, where it looks like I should type
> --verbose build?

You don't need to option-drag setup.py: On the Mac setup.py will
present you with a (slightly) more mac-like dialog where you can
fill out the command line. That's the second dialog you got. So
just doubleclick setup.py and type (or select) "build" in the
command line there.

> Then the windows comes up saying that it's building but it
> never seems to finish.

At what step does it hang? Has it already fired up CodeWarrior?
Maybe if you post the output in the setup.py window here that'll
make things a bit clearer.

I do also so occasional hangs with distutils, where it doesn't
seem to talk to CodeWarrior, but usually trying again cures it.
I haven't yet looked into what could be causing this.
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
- If I can't dance I don't want to be part of your revolution --
Emma Goldman -