[Pythonmac-SIG] Gnu readlines?

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com
Sun, 3 Mar 2002 00:42:38 +0100

On vrijdag, maart 1, 2002, at 06:36 , kevin parks wrote:

> MacPythonians,
>
> I have always wanted the Python interpreter to behave a bit
> more like a shell, with a history and command-line editing,
> etc. I have always found the interpreter to be really
> unfriendly, which is a shame since Python invites you to fiddle
> about in the interpreter, yet the interpreter is so
> unforgiving. There is GNU readlines.

Last time I checked (which was many years ago, admittedly) GNU
Readline was very  unix-specific. It did all its magic with
funny stty settings. Plus: the functionality the SIOUX console
gives you isn't really good enoughb for readline (no cursor
movements, clear, etc). All in all it would be a major
undertaking.

> I still don't care much for our stone-age IDE either (sorry,
> but now that i have seen python under *nix and windoze...),

What's the problem with the IDE? PythonWin with Scintilla is
better, I must admit, but on unix you only have Idle, and that I
find really lame.
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
- If I can't dance I don't want to be part of your revolution --
Emma Goldman -