[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: Pythonmac-SIG] SciPy

Jeff Whitaker jsw@cdc.noaa.gov
Sun, 3 Mar 2002 06:34:21 -0700 (MST)

Hi:  I'm a fink developer and the maintainer of the python package (and
most of the scientific stuff).  I've succeeded in patching scipy so that
it will compile, but as of now I can't get it to run.  The problem is that
with apple's dynamic linker, you can't have two loadable modules (A,B)
both linking the same static library (C).  They compile fine, but when you
try to load A and B in python, you get multiply defined symbol errors (for
all the symbols in C both A and B reference), and the import fails. The
only solution I know of is to recompile all of the statics libs (which in
scipy case is quite a few, including libg2c and atlas) as shared libs.
If anyone knows another way around this problem, I'd love to hear about
it.

-Jeff

 --
Jeffrey S. Whitaker         Phone  : (303)497-6313
Meteorologist               FAX    : (303)497-6449