[Pythonmac-SIG] Newbie question about shared libraries and QuickTime

John Jackson jjackson@pobox.com
Mon, 4 Mar 2002 12:29:42 -0800

Hi,

I've been working with python on both OS 9 and OS X, and I was looking
at doing some work with QuickTime.

There's a couple of things I'm not clear about:

1. With the functions in the shared libraries (such as QuickTime),
what's the easiest way to find the definition for the function?

I can use the module browser in the IDE, and then import the function in
the interactive window and get its doc string, but that's a little
cumbersome. Is there an easier way, that would list the doc strings in
the module browser? (Or should I just hack the module browser?...)

2. It looks like not all of QuickTime has been implemented in the shared
library. Of course, the function(s) that I'm looking for is one that's
not included. Is where I need to take the source for the library
(_Qtmodule.c) and add the missing functions, and then recompile it?

How difficult is that? I don't have an up-to-date version of Metrowerks;
can this be done with downloadable compilers? I'd be happy if I got it
working on either one of the platforms, and then I can get my
application written and be on my way.

(If you're familiar with the Apple sample code for Quicktime, I'm trying
to write a python implementation of the program "MakeEffectSlideShow"
which is broken and limited.)

thanks for any help!
John Jackson