[wxPython-mac] Re: [Pythonmac-SIG] Wanted: working example of CFBundleTypeRole Shell

Bill Bedford billb@mousa.demon.co.uk
Fri, 8 Mar 2002 20:02:46 +0000

At 2:35 pm -0500 08/03/02, Kevin Ollivier wrote:

>>  I do like the idea of the defaults being: *.py--editor of your choice
>>  (maybe defaulting to the IDE), and *.pyc--The interpreter. This fits
>>  well with all other compiled language development: the source code is
>>  edited, the compiled code is run.
>
>This I don't agree with, simply because people generally distribute the .py
>file instead of the .pyc file. On Win and Linux, this is not a problem - by
>default double-clicking on a .py file compiles and then runs the script. It
>treats it like an application, as Kevin Altis mentioned earlier.

This is exactly what happens on my mac, if it doen't on your I
suggest it is because at some time you have changed the creator from
'Pyth' to something else.

>I think we
>need to justify why Python should behave differently on Mac if we want to
>change this behavior. I think it would be detrimental because the average
>Python user would have to open most scripts in the IDE before running them
>the first time, and know the difference between .py and .pyc to avoid doing
>this subsequent times.

Or know enough about the mac to change the creator, and there mush be
about half a dozen ways of doing that, including a script in the
tools folder.

--

Bill Bedford

You can win or you can have peace, but not at the same time.