[Pythonmac-SIG] Python 2.2/multi user

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 23:22:21 +0100

On woensdag, maart 20, 2002, at 02:12 , J=F8rgen N=F8rgaard wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just tried to install python 2.2 (from the full installer=20
> download). Installed as administrative user and appears to work=20
> fine.
>
> If, however, I run the python IDE (and other tools) from=20
> another (non-administrative) account will result in the errors=20
> like:
>

> 'import site' failed; use -v for traceback

Hmm, I think this is a problem with the preference file. Or=20
rather a problem with no preferences file being available. Or,=20
more probable, an incorrect preferences file being available.

Could you please try the following, and tell me whether it works=20
(all this as the unprivileged user):
- Remove any prefs file (in ~/Library/Preferences) with "python"=20
in the name.
- Run PythonInterpreter once by double-clicking it.
- Quit PythonInterpreter.
- Try the IDE.

This may fix things. If it does: let me know. If it doesn't:=20
could you option-double-click PythonInterpreter, keep option=20
depressed until the initial dialog appears, select "trace import=20
statements", at the prompt type
 >>> import sys
 >>> print sys.path
 >>> print sys.executable
and mail me all of the output in the PythonInterpreter window=20
(so also the import traces)?
--
- Jack Jansen        <Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com>       =20
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -