[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: BBEdit questions (Russell E Owen)

Louis M. Pecora pecora@anvil.nrl.navy.mil
Thu, 2 May 2002 15:11:06 -0400

John Gruber                                    <support@barebones.com>
Bare Bones Software Technical Support       <http://www.barebones.com>
of BBEdit wrote:

>It makes no logical sense for both Wrap Around and Only Search
>Selection to be turned on; you can't wrap around the selected text.

Huh?  Sure it makes sense.  You just want to start at the beginning of the selection when you reach the end of the selection.  Did I miss something?

>If you're using spaces, and you want BBEdit to delete four spaces at
>a time when you hit the delete key, how would you delete only *one*
>space if that's what you wanted? We try to avoid features like this,
>where the program tries to be smarter than you, because it's more
>frustrating to workaround it than the problem it originally tried to
>solve.

Although it's not a BBEdit solution, you can easily program a hot key with QuicKeys to do this.  QuicKeys is good for lots of stuff.  Adding functionality to programs that don't have what you want is one.  I think there's now a Mac OS X version (just a satisfied user).

--

Cheers,

Lou Pecora