[Pythonmac-SIG] Another build question: ssl?

Russell E Owen owen@astro.washington.edu
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 15:08:19 -0800

Ronald Oussoren <oussoren@cistron.nl> wrote:

>find_library_file seems to search for 'libssl.a' and 'libssl.so',
>and therefore doesn't find libssl.dylib.
>
>After playing around a little I now have a Python (2.3 CVS) that can
>use '.dylib' for extension modules. See the end of this message for
>a CVS diff...

I tried this and unfortunately found I still didn't have ssl support.
Perhaps I didn't clear out enough stuff, first. (I was surprised to
find that my new build still had Numeric installed, though I had not
explicitly reinstalled it.)

What I did:
- Deleted my entire Python-2.2.2 source tree
- Deleted /Applications/Python (my old framework build)
- Unpacked a new Python-2.2.2 source tree
- Changed these three files as you suggested:
   .../Python-2.2.2/configure
   .../Python-2.2.2/ Lib/distutils/extensions.py
   .../Python-2.2.2/Python/dynload_next.c
- Made the usual change to setup.py so aqua Tk works
- Rebuilt from scratch:
   ./configure --enable-framework
   make
   sudo make frameworkinstall
   cd Mac/OSX
   sudo make install
   sudo make installmacsubtree

- Test:
   python
   >>> import socket
   >>> socket.ssl
   Traceback (most recent call last):
     File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
   AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'ssl'

My Tk application still seems to work fine. I haven't run the standard tests.

-- Russell

P.S. I also confirmed that the changes I made to the three files were
still present; as expected, nothing in the build had overwritten any
of them. I had been a bit doubtful of configure -- not being a make
maven.