[Pythonmac-SIG] Another build question: ssl?

Fri, 22 Nov 2002 08:09:30 -0500

On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 11:58:31PM -0800, Dan Wolfe wrote:
>The current code in setup.py relies on the find_file() located right
>above the find_library_file().  The find_file() only returns the full
>pathname to the library if it's located in the std_dirs.  If the file

No, as I read find_file, it returns None if the file isn't found,
an empty list if it's one of the std_dirs, and the directory name
if it's found in the 'paths' list.

>In the code below, if I'm reading this right, if the file is found and
>the path appears in both the std_dir and paths parameters, it will
>return a directory instead of the current code's full path the the

This is an actual bug in my suggested code; I'll fix it before I try
it.  Thanks for pointing it out.

>And the other distutils question that I had, is whether the code needs
>to be backwardly compatible or not... (eg is it ok to use the new
>string.startswith() and += operatives?) for use with python 2.1?

The Distutils is just the code under Lib/distutils/.  That's released
independently of Python, and for now it needs to stay compatible with
1.5.2.

The setup.py is part of Python's build system, and it only needs to
run with the version of Python it comes with.

--amk                                                             (www.amk.ca)
    "A little patience goes a long way."
    "Yes. Too much patience goes absolutely nowhere."
      -- Login and the Doctor, in "Full Circle"