[Pythonmac-SIG] On-line help; webbrowser problems

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com
Sat, 23 Nov 2002 13:42:28 +0100

On zaterdag, nov 23, 2002, at 00:21 Europe/Amsterdam, Russell E Owen
wrote:

> I'm trying to write an on-line help system for a cross-platform (unix
> and MacOS X at least, Windows would also be helpful) Python app. The
> sort of help needed tends to be verbose; tool tips aren't going to be
> useful.
>
> My first thought was to write the help in HTML and use the webbrowser
> module to access it.
>
> Unfortunately, I'm having trouble with webbrowser on MacOS X 10.2. I
> suspect it's intrinsic to limitations in the way the OS tries to do
> things.

First of all: if you've installed the Mac-specific stuff then
webbrowser should use Internet Config to open your URL. This way, the #
bit and such should work. First thing to find out is why it doesn't use
Internet Config, try what "import ic" does for you.

Second, for me it does use Internet Config, but it still doesn't work
(I get a strange error from IC: "PathTooLongErr". I will investigate
this.
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
Goldman -