[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: Running Python scripts without full paths

Nicholas Riley njriley@uiuc.edu
Sat, 30 Nov 2002 14:25:06 -0600

On Sat, Nov 30, 2002 at 12:19:35PM -0800, Daniel Lord wrote:
> Prior to 10.2 Apple called the ~/Library/init files, but in 10.2 they
> stopped so you have to call them yourself. I suspect they were worried
> about conflicts between the init files snd the plist, but through
> perhaps dumb luck, I have not encountered any so far.

No, in fact they removed them because it made tcsh on OS X behave
differently to every other Unix.  Believe it or not, Apple cares about
this kind of thing.  Other Unices with GUIs have similar issues with
setting the environment of programs which aren't launched from the
command line.

What needs fixing, IMO, is that WindowServer's environment cannot be
edited through the GUI and requires a logout/login to change.

--
=Nicholas Riley <njriley@uiuc.edu> | <http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/njriley>
        Pablo Research Group, Department of Computer Science and