[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: Running Python scripts without full paths

kevin parks kevin@macosx.com
Sun, 1 Dec 2002 05:36:03 +0900

On Sunday, December 1, 2002, at 05:19  AM, Daniel Lord wrote:

> On Saturday, Nov 30, 2002, at 11:48 US/Pacific, kevin parks wrote:
>
>> I think that i got it to work.
>>
>> Apparently you can *NOT* set your path in
>> ~/Library/init/tcsh/environment.mine.
>>

> Au contraire, one can with this trick--put the following lines in
> ~/.tcshrc:
>
> #
> # Personal Environment
> #
> source ~/Library/init/tcsh/environment.mine
> source ~/Library/init/tcsh/rc.mine
> source ~/Library/init/tcsh/environment.mine

I tried setting that already. That wasn't the issue for me. What i was
pointing out was that you can't try to
append your path in ~/Library/init/tcsh/environment.mine, but rather in
~/Library/init/tcsh/path, since looking at
.login in /etc that shows that ~/Library/init/tcsh/path is where it
looks next.

anyway it works and it works all the time now, so i got it all set in
~/Library/init/tcsh/path
and it works.

> If you want to understand the reasoning and structure of the init
> files, check out "/usr/share/tcsh/examples/README" on your system.
> There are examples in there as well.

I mention this in my post. The problem was not that i didn't know about
this file, but that it was almost completely
useless! and cryptic.

> Prior to 10.2 Apple called the ~/Library/init files, but in 10.2 they
> stopped so you have to call them yourself.
>  I suspect they were worried about conflicts between the init files
> snd the plist, but through perhaps dumb luck,

Maybe who knows?, but i wish that they would get it sorted out and just
leave it! OS X is not beta anymore. folks are actually trying to use it
for work!

cheers,

kevin