[Pythonmac-SIG] Environment from the tcsh shell

Robin B. Lake rbl@hal.epbi.cwru.edu
Sat, 30 Nov 2002 16:20:25 -0500 (EST)

Following the discussion between Paul and Nicholas --- just what I've
been waiting for!

The problem of the shell "losing" the environment came in with Jaguar.  I
used to be able to execute my nightly modeling runs from cron via a crontab
set of entries.  No more!  Cron, running under the shell, has no clue
as to what my environment PATH is.  Furthermore, one program that uses
very large arrays won't run under cron, generating "segmentation fault"
errors, perhaps because the shell has different 'limit' settings?  All
totally undocumented and Apple Care tells me the $200+ I spent on the
support package doesn't cover Terminal!

I've been doing UNIX for 30+ years on 20+ different machines and Apple
has screwed up a Very Good Thing for developers with a careless or
carelessly-documented release.

Rob Lake
lake@cwru.edu