[Pythonmac-SIG] adding to the Unix/Jaguar python

kevin parks kp87@lycos.com
Thu, 03 Oct 2002 13:52:44 -0400

Hi folks. I've been getting set up on OS X 10.2.1 and was pleased to be
able to invoke the UNIX python in the shell right out of the box. I plan
to wait for the 2.3 merge to get the official Mac python distribution
and just ( i guess :) ) use the pre-existing Jaguar install for now,
though i am using Jack's Python under OS 9 when i am booted up there.

However i would really like to get some of the other packages added,
especially Numeric & co. Anyone know where i can get these and how i can
add them to the pre-built 10.2.1 install? I saw the links to Tony Lownds
& Bob Ippolito's stuff but Bob Ippolito's page looks like it might be a
bit out of date. Also both of these pre-compiled packages found there
contain more than i am looking for (not sure i need X windows or Tk yet,
though if i get that do i then have IDLE? It is all so confusing!). The
build on the wxPython sourceforge page is mysterious as well as they
don't tell you what is included. I am hesitant to install stuff that is
out of date/experimental or Beta-ish or anything that might clobber the
version of Python that i have now, which seems to be working and
reasonably up to date.

So what is the best was to beef up the UNIX Python that comes installed?
Is there a place where binary packages are placed? Has someone compiled
packages for the UNIX python? Or, as i have the developer package, are
there instructions for how to build some of the more common add-ons out
of the box?

Sorry, i am bit confused. A lot has changed in the UNIX/Darwin world
since i retired my NeXT machine. In those days fink was someone who told
the boss you was looking at nudie pictures on your NeXTstation at
work...

best,

kevin

Tired of all the SPAM in your inbox? Switch to LYCOS MAIL PLUS