[Pythonmac-SIG] Newbie environment var problem

Tony McDonald tony.mcdonald@ncl.ac.uk
Tue, 08 Oct 2002 11:14:45 +0100

On 8/10/02 6:32 am, "Alan Dyck" <alan@dyck.net> wrote:

> If you do not wish to help a newcomer, please skip this message and
> accept my apologies.

That's a bit defensive! :) - this maillist is very friendly to newbs...

> I request the help of the group in configuring the environment variables
> for Python 2.2.1 in Mac OS 10.1.5. I have used Python on NT for half a
> year and am frustrated by how difficult and undocumented it is on my Mac.

I guess it's because it's in a state of flux. Apple only recently included
unix python with OS-X, so before that people on this list had downloaded the
source of python and built their own (or dl-ed from Tony Lownds site or
others).

Some of the really cool stuff is happening with the GUI-based MacPython,
which has been successfully compiled into a FrameWork. I always have the
PythonIDE running in my dock, and it has MySQLdb, XML tools, reportlab and a
host of others included in site-packages. This is a little
bleeding^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hscratchy edge though at the moment (but definitely
usable).

There's also talk of incorporating WxPython into MacPython as well
(personally I'd love to be able to use python within
ProjectBuilder/InterfaceBuilder, but thats a ways off I think).

> Right now whenever I want to harness the power of Python I paste in
> these two lines:
> setenv PATH "${PATH}:/Applications/Python/bin"
> setenv PYTHONPATH "/Users/alandyck/pythonscripts"
> I have read many conflicting hints of how to get these commands into a
> config or resource file for Terminal (tcsh?). Can someone tell me how to
> do it?

You can either put those lines into a .tcshrc file in your Users/alandyck
folder, or read this URL
http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=792
Which has gobs of information on how to do it the MacOS-X way....

> Much obliged.
> -Alan Dyck

Hope this helps,
Tone.
--
Dr Tony McDonald,  Assistant Director, FMCC, http://www.fmcc.org.uk/
The Medical School, Newcastle University Tel: +44 191 243 6140