[Pythonmac-SIG] Compiler required?

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 11:08:07 +0200

On Thursday, October 17, 2002, at 10:57 , Dethe Elza wrote:
> Is CodeWarrior still a requirement for PythonMac (as opposed to python
> unix in OS X)?  I know there's been ongoing work to unify the three
> pythons for OS X (PythonMac, PythonMachO, Python Unix), which I haven't
> been following closely, but will part of that unification allow Python
> to be built using the standard OS X development tools?

For MacPython 2.2 and it's successor MacPython-OS9 2.3 (i.e. the python
that can run on both OS9 and OSX) CodeWarrior is a requirement for the
simple reason that it's the only compiler that can generate CFM code,
and CFM code is a requirement when you want to run on OS9.

But if you're not interested in OS9 then there's no reason not to switch
to the unix tools.
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
Goldman -