[Pythonmac-SIG] Compiler required?

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 22:06:14 +0200

On vrijdag, okt 18, 2002, at 20:28 Europe/Amsterdam, Dan Brotsky wrote:

>> But if you're not interested in OS9 then there's no reason not to
>> switch to the unix tools.
>
> That's not quite true.  If your OS X app uses an existing Carbon-based
> plugin mechanism or UI framework (which many do :^), then you may need
> to run PythonMac-OS9 (Carbon) even if you only run on OS X.  It can
> take a while to port all those wonderful Carbon plugins you call from
> Python, or that cherished UI framework your Python is embedded in, and
> in many cases that may not be at the python developer's discretion.
> Until Apple releases their easy-to-use trampolining in both
> directions, many of us will be using PythonMac-OS9 on OS X.

You're right, and I do indeed tend to forget that from time to time.

I've more or less committed myself to do a MacPython-OS9 release of
2.3, and I'll try to keep that promise. But I promised that when the
timeframe for 2.3 was "fall 2002", and now it seems it's going to be
"spring 2003" or later. At some point I'm going to have to drop it,
even if only because my CW7 stops working and I don't want to spend
money on CW8.

And of course I'd always be perfectly happy to hand over responsibility
for MacPython-OS9 to someone else:-)
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
Goldman -