[Pythonmac-SIG] Let's do it completely different!

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 11:01:57 +0200

On Monday, October 21, 2002, at 03:10 , Samuel M.Smith wrote:

>> To start we build on the existing Apple-installed /usr/bin/python (or
>> any other pre-installed Python, from fink or whereever). So, our
>> MacPython-OSX installer does not necessarily include Python itself.
>> This gives two immediate advantages: we can stuff everything into
>> /Applications/Python (making installation and de-installation even
>> easier) and we can do a MacPython-OSX distribution without waiting for
>> Python 2.3. This would give people like Walt a decent way to explore
>> Python through the IDE, without having to learn about the unix command
>> line.
>>
> Yes, if there is a straightforward way to use another python
> distribution like fink or a CVS install of a later version of python
> and to switch back and forth then
> that would be good for me.

Installing on a different Python installation must definitely be
possible. Whether switching from one to the other is possible: I'm not
sure, but I don't think so. The way I have my experiments working at the
moment is that inside the .app bundle for applets there's a symlink
Contents/MacOS/python that points to /usr/bin/python (or whichever
Python you installed MacPython on top of). If you decide to switch that
means you would have to change those symlinks in all existing applets,
and I don't that I can do that. And I don't think I can replace the
symlink with something else (such as a tiny executable which could look
up a preference), at least not without losing some functionality.
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
Goldman -