[Pythonmac-SIG] Let's do it completely different!

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 23:41:06 +0200

On maandag, oktober 21, 2002, at 06:19 , Bob Savage wrote:
> Well, this could be a crazy, unworkable idea, and I may not
> even understand the discussion as it stands, but here goes...
>
> My assumption is that there are three levels of Python we are
> talking about:
> 	[1] a UNIX-y install (either Apple-supplied,
> Fink-installed, or built by CVS, etc.)
> 	[2] something called "MacPython" which adds functionality,
> but does not duplicate the service(s) of [1] above
> 	[3] some number of applets that are built using MacPython,
> which is to say: they rely on Python, but acquire it from [1],
> through [2].
>
> Perhaps the applets ([3]) could have links which point to a
> file in the "MacPython" distribution ([2]), which is really a
> link to the desired Python installation ([1]). Then, any time
> someone wants to change which version of UNIX-y Python (level
> [1]), they can set a preference in MacPython (level [2]), and
> no applets ([3]) need to be touched.

Bob, this is a brilliant idea! It means the MacPython can't be
moved, but I think that already was the case (as I want to put
Mac/Lib in there, and /usr/lib/python2.2/Lib/lib-
sitepython/MacPython.pth will contain a reference to that).

There's one thing that needs thought, though: it would be
politically most correct to put the indirect symlink somewhere
in your preferences. But that means that if you throw away your
preferences your applets won't run anymore. Most importantly,
the IDE wouldn't run, and I assume that's what you would use to
set your preferences. Which means we have to put the indirect
symlink right into the IDE applet.

And even then you will have problems if you install a new python
and remove the old one before telling MacPython about it.

Hmm, a potential solution could be to let PythonLauncher handle
this preference. As it is written in ObjC it wouldn't be
affected by the dangling or missing symlink...
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
- If I can't dance I don't want to be part of your revolution --
Emma Goldman -