[Pythonmac-SIG] Novice Just Starting

Charles Lloyd clloyd3@houston.rr.com
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 21:28:41 -0500

--Apple-Mail-4--1035537020

I am an unsophisticated programmer just starting to learn Python.  I
have been a "ham and bean" programmer for quite a fews years but always
worked in high level languages.  I have programmed in APL, Basic,
Visual Basic, and applications such as Paradox, 1-2-3, and Access so I
know how to use IF, WHILE, and other such functions.  I like Python
because of its simplicity and the fact that you can start programming
and "learn as you go".    I'm looking for answers to problems and not
the beauty of a well written and structured program.  My son, who is a
professional programmer and writes tools for the other programmers,
cringes at my spaghetti code.

I am currently using a Mac computer running OS X 10.2.1 and I
downloaded MacPython (I think that is what it is called), but I have
not installed the Apple Developer files when I upgraded to 10.2.
Should I install these files?

I feel I am ready to start writing the code I need to solve a
particular problem but I need a good input/output GUI for the user of
my soon to be written program.   I tried to access Tkinter which was
downloaded with Python but I can't seem to import it to try it out.

Is there a GUI program available that I can use with Python and if so
what do I need to do to acquire it?

Thanks,

Charles Lloyd
The Woodlands, TX
--Apple-Mail-4--1035537020

I am an unsophisticated programmer just starting to learn Python.  I
have been a "ham and bean" programmer for quite a fews years but
always worked in high level languages.  I have programmed in APL,
Basic, Visual Basic, and applications such as Paradox, 1-2-3, and
Access so I know how to use IF, WHILE, and other such functions.  I
like Python because of its simplicity and the fact that you can start
programming and "learn as you go".    I'm looking for answers to
problems and not the beauty of a well written and structured program.
My son, who is a professional programmer and writes tools for the
other programmers, cringes at my spaghetti code.

I am currently using a Mac computer running OS X 10.2.1 and I
downloaded MacPython (I think that is what it is called), but I have
<underline>not</underline> installed the Apple Developer files when I