[Pythonmac-SIG] Let's do it completely different!

Tony Lownds tony@lownds.com
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 21:00:38 -0700

At 7:10 PM -0600 10/20/02, Samuel M. Smith wrote:
>>To start we build on the existing Apple-installed /usr/bin/python
>>(or any other pre-installed Python, from fink or whereever). So,
>>our MacPython-OSX installer does not necessarily include Python
>>itself. This gives two immediate advantages: we can stuff
>>everything into /Applications/Python (making installation and
>>de-installation even easier) and we can do a MacPython-OSX
>>distribution without waiting for Python 2.3. This would give people
>>like Walt a decent way to explore Python through the IDE, without
>>having to learn about the unix command line.
>>
>Yes, if there is a straightforward way to use another python
>distribution like fink or a CVS install of a later version of python
>and to switch back and forth then
>that would be good for me.

Me too. Taking advantage of the built-in pythonwould be nice. I'd
rather install my own python so that Software Update doesn't break my
python system but would still like to distribute a small applet to
10.2 users. I'd even be happy if runapplet applets used $PATH to
launch the correct python.

I'd be extremely happy if users could find the "right place" to put
extensions through the finder. Neither current Python in CVS nor the
plans for "doing it completely differently" have this property.

Could the binary MacPython 2.2 distribution be built off of a Python
from CVS? IOW, the source for Contents/MacOS/runapplet would exist
there, and BuildApplet would let the developer choose their target.
Seems like a nice intermediate step before cutting out the framework
code.

-Tony