[Pythonmac-SIG] Using MachoPython with MySQL and Apache

Laurent Pierron Laurent.Pierron@loria.fr
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 18:47:23 +0200

Russell E Owen wrote:
> I'm trying to switch from serving databases on MacOS 9 with FileMaker
> Pro to serving via MySQL on MacOS X (partly as a useful skill and partly
> because I'm pissed at the FileMaker folks for intentionally crippling
> their server in the affordable version). I was wondering if there are
> any recommendations or gotchas. I've got apache, MySQL, myPHPAdmin and
> PHP all running, but I'd much rather use Python than PHP if possible!
>
> I have two needs:
> - Get data from text files (it's a database of measurement data, and I
> receive the data in text files) into my database. Python looks like a
> clear winner for that, if the Python/MySQL interface is in good shape
> (there's a note on sourceforge that claims it builds on MacOS X, but
> I've not yet tried it).
> - Serve data from the database. I like the way PHP integrates with
> apache without the need for CGIs and was wondering if something like
> that exists for Python?
> - Should I be using ZOPE instead of apache and MySQL?

Spyce is exactly like PHP, but it's Python embedded in HTML pages, it's
very easy to install and very powerful :
http://spyce.sourceforge.net/

I'm using it in combination with PostgreSQL, but you can use it with
every database for which you have the Python API. Python API is included
with PostgreSQL, so it's a good idea to use PostgreSQL.

--
Laurent PIERRON