[Pythonmac-SIG] Let's do it completely different!

Chris Barker Chris.Barker@noaa.gov
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 08:51:57 -0700

Jack Jansen wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 22, 2002, at 06:00 , Tony Lownds wrote:
> > I'd be extremely happy if users could find the "right place" to put
> > extensions through the finder. Neither current
> > Python in CVS nor the plans for "doing it completely differently" have
> > this property.
>
> Could you elaborate, please? I'm not sure I understand exactly what you
> mean...

My interpretation of that comment is that the Finder, by default, does
not show the "unixy" parts of the file system (/usr etc.) This makes it
impossible for users to view/manipulate any of those parts of the file
system with the finder. If that is where the Python stuff is, it's
tricky for a user to find whether a given package is installed, for
instance.

Frankly, this is my number one annoyance with OS-X: if you want to do
old time command line unix stuff, you can do that, and if you want to do
all-gui mac-like stuff, you can do that, but never the twain shall meet:
it is very awkward to switch between the two.

I have set up the finder to show me everything, which is an improvement.
Does anyone know how I could put a button on the finder that would open
a terminal, with the working directory set to the current finder
selected folder? I use this feature all the time in KDE on Linux, it is
very useful.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker@noaa.gov