[Pythonmac-SIG] MacPython 2.2.2 final candidate

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 23:00:20 +0100

On woensdag, oktober 30, 2002, at 07:30 , Chris Barker wrote:

> Jack Jansen wrote:
>> This is an interesting bug you found: the bug is really with
>> Python's test suite. The test suite expects to have write
>> permission in Python's Lib/test directory (or somewhere
>> thereabouts). The bug isn't mac-specific, but it's triggered by
>> person A doing the install and person B running the test set.
>
> There has to be a little more to it. On my Linux box,
> test.autotest runs
> fine as a normal user, even though I do not have write permissions to:
>
> /usr/lib/python2.2/test/
>
> Is that the directory you thought write permissions were needed for?

It turns out you need write permission in the current directory,
i.e. the directory where you run the tests. On Linux this'll be
the place where you invoke Python. But with MacPython on OSX it
will be /Applications/Python 2.2.2, and that directory is only
writeable by the user who installed Python or of that same group
(the directory has mode rwxrwxr-x).

So, after all I think it isn't really a bug, it's an
ideosyncracy of MacPython on OSX.
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
- If I can't dance I don't want to be part of your revolution --
Emma Goldman -