[Pythonmac-SIG] What is the future of Python on OSX?

Tony Lownds tony@lownds.com
Thu, 5 Sep 2002 15:05:35 -0700

What would you like? I'm still very interested in working on Tkinter.
I'm intending on making an "install_IDLE" command for posting on
sf.net (about 50% done with it). I share the impression of
complication in Python MacOSX land, there are so many things in the
air. AquaTk's last snapshot is really old and fixes bugs that are
destined to be FAQs if it's the one people use. I have been assuming
that Jack's 2.3 distro will be the leading distribution. He's been
adding lots of build changes to CVS lately - probably just waiting
for an Alpha. Jack, if I write an install_IDLE command, how likely
would it be that IDLE could be included? How long is it before some
alpha or pre-alpha releases?

If IDLE isn't included in Jack's distro, I will be producing a
Tkinter add-on package which includes IDLE and the Tkinter demos. I
don't find the current built-from CVS very easy to use yet (too many
other apps take over my .py mapping I think) as a package writer -
maybe if ~/Library/Python is added to a path so people could install
by dragging and dropping.

-Tony