[Pythonmac-SIG] What is the future of Python on OSX?

Kevin Ollivier kevino@tulane.edu
Fri, 6 Sep 2002 18:44:29 -0400

On Friday, September 6, 2002, at 04:23  PM, Bugbee, Larry wrote:

> My 2 cents...
>
> As developers for developers we can do pretty much what we want for the
> installation, but if we expect mere mortals to run the stuff we
> develop, we
> need to have an installation that is simple to understand, easy to use,
> and
> complete.  The typical user will not be in a position to understand all
> the
> dependencies, or go through any screwy procedures to get something to
> work.

> I therefore submit the OSX Python installation of GUIs should:
>
>   - have no dependencies.  A single installation should
>     install all that is required beyond that provided by
>     the vendor.  (I know this will be point of contention,
>     but the end user really doesn't care about our problems.)

When I'm creating a GUI app for end users, for Windows I use a tool like
McMillan's Installer program to build all the dependencies into one
directory and create a binary version of the script, which I then
package as an installer. (Installer works on Linux as well, and the Mac
OS X equivalent, called "BuildApplication", I believe is in
development.) The end user doesn't even know that Python was used to
develop the application, unless they care to read the license or check
the "About" box.

In fact, IMHO, end users should not have to separately install Python at
all. It should be somehow bundled or incorporated, along with any
dependencies, into an  application's installer. However, I don't think
it should be the responsibility of the Python developers, or the
third-party developers, to ensure that everything a vendor's application
needs is included within Python. It should instead be the responsibility
of the vendor themselves.

>   - install the same GUI interfaces included in the
>     standard installations of another platforms.  GUI
>     apps should run on OSX just as they would on Linux
>     or Windows.  For now this includes Tkinter.  When
>     wxPython becomes part of the standard install on
>     any platform, it should become standard on all.

I would really, really like to see wxPython become a standard GUI for
Python. I think it is quite usable and powerful, provides a native look
and feel, gives good performance, and now it does run on all major
platforms. My guess is, however, that it hasn't been included for size
reasons. Anyone else have more info on this?

>   - properly support the native look and feel.  ...as is
>     the case on all other platforms.  In this case, Aqua.

> The dependencies issue is a tough one.  If the installer cannot or does
> not
> install all that is required, the installer should at least alert the
> user
> as to what is missing and give a clue as to what to do.  ...and the
> answer
> should be simple enough for them to understand and do correctly.
>
> Not to flame anybody, but in the long run I'm not keen on using X on OSX
> unless it is supported by Apple.  Likewise, I'm not too keen on
> installing
> Tcl to enjoy Tkinter.  Those may be a luxuries we cannot support today,
> but
> perhaps we should recognize them as goals?  ...and whatever the answer,
> it
> should be the same for all platforms.
>
> At the end of the day, if our end users cannot do a simple install and
> get
> all that is needed to run our Python apps, they won't be running our
> apps on
> OSX.

I think we're already mostly there, except it is up to the vendor to
ensure that the users get an easy installation experience. (And that is,
IMO, how it should be.) I actually do have a single-file,
point-and-click, installer for my OS X wxPython app. It's a bit large
right now (32 MB Gzipped) because it installs Python, wxPython and
PyXML, but it's easy and painless. No X hassles, uses Aqua, and works
just like the Windows/Linux counterparts. Very nice. =) I used to use
Visual Basic, and believe it or not, I have a lot less troubles building
an easy, complete installer with Python than with VB.

Thanks,

Kevin