[Pythonmac-SIG] SPAM

Peter de Tagyos pdetagyos@cox.net
Sun, 8 Sep 2002 14:26:09 -0700

I think that SPAM is a great name for a Python module archive.

I think that such an application would serve as a great example of how
python can be used to build web services.  That term is totally
overused and often mis-applied these days, but in this case it aptly
describes the application.

I'm just throwing out ideas here, but I think that the client should
post an XML request to the server, which will respond to the request
appropriately (either by returning information in an XML doc, or
initiating a download, etc).  The interaction should be completely
stateless.  Then I got to thinking about the server, and realized that
Zope would be an excellent choice for the server-side app.  You've got
a scalable web server built in, so all you need to do is interpret the
request XML and decide how to best fulfill it.  As an added bonus, you
could build a website that offers the same functionality to web
browsers as it does to command-line clients.

Just some thoughts - take 'em for what they are worth.  I would be
interested in working on such a project, because I think that if python
can offer a CPAN-like service, it will only draw more users to the
language.

Peter