[Pythonmac-SIG] What is the future of Python on OSX?

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com
Mon, 9 Sep 2002 16:45:36 +0200

On Monday, September 9, 2002, at 04:06 , Schollnick, Benjamin wrote:
> XML is not a database system....  Please don't try to force XML to do a
> job
> it has not been designed to fill...
>
> Yes it can be used as a "flat" database, but that is probably not going
> be suitable (long term).... Instead use Mysql, or some other true
> database
> program....
>
> Allow XML to be used for submissions, or for "description files", or
> whatever... But allow a database program to handle the actual database
> searches...

And Peter de Tagyos wrote something in a similar vein yesterday ("build
a web application using zope").

(I'm getting good at pushing all the interesting features into the
future:-) You're right, for a full version of SPAM. The initial python
install manager will download  the whole database, always, and do so in
XML form. A future version, that supports actually searching and such,
will probably have a server-based database of some form, process the
query, and return the results as an XML form.

For version 0.9 I want to aim at something that will handle, say, up to
20 packages, binary installs only, MacOSX only.
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
Goldman -