[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: [wxPython-mac] Python that ships with Jaguar vs...

Alexandre Parenteau aparente@adobe.com
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 17:42:45 -0700

> Kevin et al..
>
> From what I have heard, Apple has shipped a straight Unix Python. I
> suppose they did this because it's easy and they are mostly thinking of
> supporting CGI and shell type scripting.

To the credit of Apple, it is only recently, and far after the freeze of
Jaguar, than it became obvious (at least to me) that MacPython was going to
default to the framework layout.

But that raises an interesting question of how to deal with Apple (or Apple
with Python) as far as packaging is concerned.

Is now python part of the Darwin project ? Did someone see a python folder
popping up in the CVS folders of Darwin ? If that is the case, a simple
patch that tweaks the Darwin makefile for Python might be enough, and we
just have to suggest it.

If not, we need to find out who is in charge at Apple.

Alex.