*Not* Launching GUI (was Re: [Pythonmac-SIG] buildpkg.py)

Tony Lownds tony@lownds.com
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 11:24:18 -0700

Hi,

>%% /Developer/Applications/PackageMaker.app/Contents/MacOS/PackageMaker  -help
>2002-09-16 10:55:49.928 PackageMaker[411]
>2002-09-16 10:55:49.931 PackageMaker[411] ** PackageMaker help **
>2002-09-16 10:55:49.933 PackageMaker[411]   * no args, will launch
>gui  version

This implies there is a way to NOT launch a GUI - Bill or anyone
else, do you know how they do that? IDLE could benefit from this, let
me explain.

IDLE from the idlefork project now runs separate processes for the
interactive interpreter and when running a script. This is desirable
so that errant programs cannot crash the editing environment. It does
this by doing os.exec(sys.executable). On a framework build with
Tkinter, that causes a second icon to show up in the dock! Its pretty
disconcerting for a user.

Any ideas on making a python GUI program spawn a background, non-GUI
python process? Just using the /usr/bin/python that Apple provides
isn't desirable, someone may want to use 2.3 features.

BTW, is anyone willing to look at the IDLE keybindings for OSX I am
proposing? Contact me off-list.

Thanks,
-Tony