[Pythonmac-SIG] Problem installing a module

Robin Siebler Robin.Siebler@palmsource.com
Tue, 17 Sep 2002 12:59:23 -0700

I found the fixfiletypes.py script and this did the trick.

-----Original Message-----
From: Just van Rossum [mailto:just@letterror.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 12:48 PM
To: Robin Siebler
Cc: pythonmac-sig@python.org
Subject: Re: [Pythonmac-SIG] Problem installing a module

Robin Siebler wrote:

> I downloaded a logging module for Python and uncompressed it.  The
> icon for all of the .py files in the folder is a blank document icon.
>  Get info for the .py files show they will be handled by the Python
> Interpreter.  However, if I double-click on setup.py, I get the
> following error message: "This is not a script.  It is probably an
> auxiliary Python file such as an application template or a preference
> file."  Obviously, this is a bogus error message.  How do I fix this?
> I can install it just fine using the command-line version of Python,
> but I need it for the GUI version.

It's probably the file type that is wrong. It should (for this version =
of
MacPython, apparently) be TEXT. You can chage it with ResEdit or =
FileTyper or
possibly many other utilities. Depending on the version of MacPython =
you're
actually using, you might need to change the line endings to "Mac" (ie. =
\r).
This can be done with BBEdit, or the IDE.

Just